Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Truant!

I'm sorry, dear reader, I really am. I have no excuses. Except that I have recently gotten too carried away with reading this person's blog (and there are soooo many posts to catch up on ...) to post to my own. So here's what's happened since I've been gone:
1. Auntie Esti In Law
Uncle Joe and Auntie Esti are Mr. and Mrs.! Their wedding was magical, beautiful, and all things weddings should be. Moreover, Mark and I were actually able to enjoy the magic and the beauty of it all thanks to Peter's Grannie and Granddad, who flew in from Calgary to care for the weenut so he could enjoy the festivities from the relative safety of the bridal suite. I was a little nervous, since the Pdog had been doing a little bit of the making strange, but he was good as gold for Grannie and had a grand old time. I promise to post more photos when I get more; these are the only ones I have. First, of Dr. Morty looking very much the Father-of-the-Bride:
Next, the very beautiful Esti and her bevy of bridesmaids:
And, of course, the party guest on everyone's mind, the Peanut, looking quite dapper indeed:
And did I mention, dear reader, that another one of Peter's aunts is becoming official (or, as we prefer to say, an honest woman)? That's right, G. Meghan L. is set to earn her Auntie title on August 28th, 2010 ...
2. Peter is a Great Big Show-off
He has a sense of drama, my son. No sooner had he been placed on the assessment table by the physical therapist at his 4-month NICU follow-up appointment (translation: Great Big Test of Peter's Development and Thus Our Parenting Abilities) than he decided it was time to roll over back-to-front for the very first time (I missed it, of course, all-star parent that I am). Long story short, the appointment went very, very well, and we were very, very relieved. Next check is not until March, when the Peanut will be 8 months corrected.
3. The PDA Lives and Breathes, In Miniature
The same week saw Peter (um, with his two favourite chaperones) visiting his cardiologist for the much-anticipated follow-up regarding the small matter of an extra duct in his heart. The bad news is that the PDA is still, stubbornly, there. The good news is that it's gotten a wee bit smaller in absolute terms, which means it's much smaller in relative terms ("relative" to the size of the lad's heart, you see). The better news is that NO PROCEDURES are contemplated in the near term, NO PRECAUTIONS need be taken with respect to Peter's heart, and we have NO FOLLOW-UP for a full year! In more amusing news, Peter was great fun during his echocardiogram, during which he busied himself attempting (with much enthusiasm) to put the ultrasound wand and the technician's hand (ideally, at the same time) in his mouth.
4. Breastmilk Just Isn't the Same
Peter has (with some help) started eating solid foods (so far, rice cereal, oatmeal, bananas and my personal favourite, the sweet potato). So far ... well, I was going to say "so good", but really, it's more like "so far, so you'd think I'd been starving the poor boy up to this point". To say that Peter has been enthusiastic about the eats would be an understatement. It has gone pretty much like this:
ME: Peter, would you like some nummy cereal?
PETER: Finally! Something that's not that god-awful milk you've been making!
ME: The airplane is coming into the hangar ...
PETER: Make with the 'nanas already, b#*ch!
Documentation of Peter's first taste of cereal - note the gaping maw:

We like, we like ...

Ahhhh, nothing like being sated and soiled.

5. The Pump Drags On

Peter has started objecting to my habit of connecting myself every three or so hours to the double electric breast pump. He used to be content to sit in the infant seat whilst I made him his next meal, so long as all the while I sang songs, told stories, made faces, etc. Lately, he has started to quirm and arch his way out of the seat and make loud protest grunts (to which I reply, Yes, Peter, IF ONLY THERE WERE SOME OTHER WAY TO GET THE MILK OUT ...). Perhaps he's merely registering his dissatisfaction with the liquid fare (see update #4 above)?

***

I think that's it for us, dear reader. I will try hard to post sooner next time around (else you'll be reading about Peter's first Noel ...).

2 comments:

  1. Hi, The Litte Man is a real "Chick Magnet" - from our vantage point in the bridal suite he had soooo many lady visitors - various bridesmaids, the BRIDE (Auntie Estie), Gram, Great Granma and of course his Mom - Granddad and I got to visit with quite a few people from the comfort of the bridal suite. At one point Peter (little Peter that is) had all his wedding finery off and showed the visitors his 6-pack! When you've got a nice little body why not show it off!! The giggles and goos were just the best (from Peter that is!). As Amanda mentioned the Little Guy could not have been better - except that he was not too keen on the very large voice of the Cantor - at which point we made a hasty exit from the chapel. Love Granniexx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you the blog (or at least are captivated by it)... we can discuss tomorrow over baking. And so glad for the wedding pictures -- I've been waiting forever to see the Mrs. Esti!

    ReplyDelete