Wednesday, February 3, 2010

More Aquatic Adventures

Today, Peter and I participated in our very first programmed activity: something called "Cardio Aqua Babies". Until now, you see, we had been a little timid about venturing out into the world, in all its germy glory. Which is not to say that we've become any less germ-phobic. Just that you can only take the "boy in the bubble" thing so far. In retrospect, it was perhaps unwise to choose such a logistically challenging enterprise for our first foray out into programmed mom-and-baby land. It may also have been better had I not combined "baby's first programmed activity" with "baby's first dip in a swimming pool" as well as "mummy's first post-partum bathing suit appearance". As it was, I had trouble sleeping last night - kept startling awake with such alarming thoughts as "Flip flops! I'll need to bring flip flops!" and "how will I stop him from licking the change room floor while I put my pants on?!" It was a little tricky, but we managed alright. I had been forewarned about the many flights of stairs involved in getting to and fro the pool, so had carried the Peanut over in the Weego under Mark's big, warm jacket. Showering with Master Peter in arms turned out to be rather pleasant, instead of the slippery, tantrumy nightmare I had envisioned. My worst fears were not realized: Peter did not vomit in the pool, nor did the other mommies point and laugh at my stretch marks. Instead, P Dizzle behaved himself in admirable fashion, and the other mommies were, you know, compassionate grown-ups rather than the mean girls in my fifth grade class. It wasn't quite the workout that had been promised, what with all the baby-entertaining and drowning-prevention that had to go on, but I hadn't really been counting on feeling the burn. All in all, it was a pleasing diversion, and I think the Peanut had fun. With this under our belt, I think we just might venture out for a few more mom-baby dates, so I'm calling on your mummy knowledge, dear reader: what stuff did you best like to do with your baby?

2 comments:

  1. I liked napping best. Is that a sport?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to get someone to take a few photos for posterity's sake. I really liked our aquababy classes, but I didn't realise what a limited shelf life they had. By the end of our classes, which coincided with the end of mat leave, Abby would last approximately 10 seconds in the yellow floaty ducky device, thereby depriving me of the ability to participate in the "aerobic" part of the class. The good news is that I made some great friends... who needs a trim tummy when you've got coffee buddies, yes?

    As for other activities, I wholeheartedly concur with Pasc. Napping was awesome. Miss it most of all :) I also really liked Babytime at the library when we had the good instructor (she taught us many of the old fashioned songs and rhymes that you think you should know).

    ReplyDelete